Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sample Writings, My 1st Inspiration

Below is the beginning of my assignment number one paper for my Visual and Performing Arts Advanced Writing 340 Course. We were to write about our process and our art. Though this is only a section of the paper I believe it shows a little insight into my first inspiration to continue a life long path on the theater road!

“Dear third little pig, you were my favrite caracter. I hope you do more plays becus I want to watch you. I hope I kan be like you. Gracie.” This was the first piece of fan mail that I ever received. I’ll never forget the overwhelming joy I felt the very first time that I realized I could impact others through my passion for theatre. As a rapping pig in the sixth grade play, “The Fairytale Courtroom,” I made my first theatrical appearance. I wore overalls with one strap hanging down over my white wife-beater tank top, a 2pac bandana, headphones around my neck, and the attitude of LL Cool J (not to mention a pig snout and ears). From the beginning, I took my roles very seriously, always making sure to completely encompass my character...even when I only had four lines. I was able to transform my mind, body, and spirit into my role. In my very first performance, I remember believing I was actually an attitudinal rapping pig. I learned from a young age that my ability to keep this imagination alive would remain the essential ingredient at the core of my success. As I “became one with my character,” I was able to bring the character alive in the eyes of my audience. It was in a simple letter of appreciation from the heart of a five-year-old little girl in the audience that I realized I had the ability to bring a character alive on stage. My presence had made an impact, igniting a passion and becoming a possibility. Gracie showed me the influential power of art. This “possibility” has molded my entire life.

Below are some picture from plays I have done. I show you these to to give you an example of the character work I do. To me, creating a world and a character is what makes the entertainment great.

This picture was when I played Brooke/Vicki in Neil Simon's BRitish comedy, Noises Off!


This image is when I was in the musical "Once Upon a Mattress" and played the evil Queen, Queen Aggravain.

No comments:

Post a Comment